Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Best Songs- This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)

Talking Heads- This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
Speaking In Tongues
June 1983

In the comments on my previous post, reader Megan said that she saw the john Butler Trio and their show caused a dance craze, which made me think of the dancing-est concert I've ever been to...

I went to see Talkingheads guys on this tour and it was a dancapalooza. (It was, I believe, the tour that became the "Stop Making Sense" album and film). If you can get 10,000 or so Mainers shaking their usually tight asses, you must be doing something right, and this band definitely did something right on this album.

Normally, I'm not one to go for synthesizers and other instruments that don't actually sound like "real" instruments, and for that reason I'm not as fond of Speaking In Tongues and Stop Making Sense as I might be, but this stupid little ditty always makes me smile. I really think it would be hard to listen to this song and be in a bad mood at the end of it, which is kind of what music is supposed to be about I think.

One of my chums once said that the members of the band switched instruments for this song, I dunno if that's true, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Aw, thanks for the shout out! And, thanks for the scoop on music for me to listen to; I'm always looking to build up my collection.

Annie and Jamie said...

we have long believed in the ultimate supremacy of this song over all other popular songs. three cheers for david byrne and his band of music-smiths.

huzzah!
huzzah!
huzzah!