Thursday, May 12, 2005

Best Albums Ever- White Ladder

David Gray- White Ladder
March 21, 2000

If Van Morrison and Bob Dylan had a child, it would be one butt-ugly kid. If it's a boy, he might well grow up to sound just like David Gray. Gray's voice on this album sounds a lot like Dylan's of the mid-eighties vintage. (I find Bob's current voice to be skating that Munchkin Tone a little too much). Gray has Dylan's lyrical abilities (maybe not quite, but he's really good) and a voice that sounds like Bob. He also has Morrison's knack for phrasing and jazziness. (He's also, like Morrison, from the British Isles. I believe he's Welsh). (Now that I think about it, he also works some lyrics from Morrison's Into the Mystic into this album).

Anyhow, this is a great album. The lyrics and melodies and craftsmanship on the songs is far better than anything else Gray has done. Like Jack Johnson's album listed elsewhere on this page, I find this to be a great album to put on for any occasion- whether I need something playing in the background or I want to hear one of those incredibly catchy songs I've become hooked on.

If you've never listened to David Gray, do yourself a huge favor and click on the album cover and go buy it from Amazon. You can thank me later.


1. Please Forgive Me
2. Babylon
3. My Oh My
4. We're Not Right
5. Nightblindness
6. Silver Lining
7. White Ladder
8. This Years Love
9. Sail Away
10. Say Hello Wave Goodbye
11. Babylon II

No comments: