Monday, August 08, 2005

Great Songs- Dean Moriarty (On the Road)

"The Persecution and Restoration of Dean Moriarty (On the Road)" By Aztec Two-Step is a song I wish more people could hear. It's one of my favorite songs, and if it got a bit more play on the radio I think it would be a favorite of a lot of people. Written in the early 1970s, it really should have become more of a hit than it did.

We just went to see Aztec Two-Step in a tiny little movie theater, and it was a great, great show. Guitarist Neal Shulman is especially impressive and I'm a big fan of Rex Fowler's vocals. My family noted that these guys could have been really big stars, but their lyrics are a little off to be a bid hit with the mainstream music fan, which is a fair assessment. On this particular song, however, they nailed it, especially for us fans of jack kerouac/ dean moriarty/ neal cassady.

The version of the song on this particular album is good, but I actually prefer the original, which is available on iTunes.

No comments: